1. Bangalore is the first city to be electrified in India
In 1905, Bangalore became the first city in India to get electricity. The City Market was the first building in Bangalore to have electric lighting.
2. Bangalore has highest number of Pubs
Bangalore is also known as Pub Capital Of India due to large number of Pubs
3. Highest Number of Cigarette Smokers
4. Bangalore is famous for stray dogs and dog bites
An average of 12 people are bitten by stray dogs per HOUR somewhere in Bangalore. There is a stray dog for every 37 people in Bangalore city.
5. Bangalore had more than 280 lakes and tanks
Bangalore had the most number of gardens and lakes in a city. Hence called Garden City. Most of the lakes and tanks are untraceable today due to land encroachment.
6. Highest number of engineering colleges in a city
Bangalore has more than 77 Engineering colleges. Most of them affiliated to Visvesvarya Technological University
7. Highest percentage of total population to number of engineers (Highest in the World)
There are more than a million IT professionals, most of them engineers residing in the city
8. Bangalore is the Suicide Capital of India
According to the National Crime Records Bureau, at least 35 in every 100,000 people in Bangalore commit suicide.
9. Bangalore has produced the maximum number of scientists considered for Nobel Prize nominations (from India)
Bangalore has the distinction of producing maximum number of scientists from India who were nominated for Nobel Prize.
Sir CV Raman, associated with IISC Bangalore in 1930 won the Nobel Prize in Physics
10. Bangalore has the biggest statue of Lord Shiva and Hanuman in India
12. Bangalore is one of the few cities in the world where the commercial and defense airport used to operate from the same strip
Bangalore is the only city in the world to have commercial and defense airport operating from the same strip of HAL Airport until 24th May 2008 when the new Bangalore International Airport commenced operations.
13. Bangalore probably is the only city in the world to have had a traffic signal on a flyover
Though the signal is not present now, it was strange to see a signal on a flyover
14. Bangalore is the only city in India with maximum number of temples, mosques and churches
15. Bangalore has highest traffic density in the country